- Campaigns / Other Fire Prevention Efforts
- Campus Fire Safety
- Inspections/Code enforcement
- Smoke Alarms
- Wildland Fire Safety
- Fire safety tips and reminders
- Other Safety News
- Smoke Alarm Saves
- Sprinkler Saves
- International News
Links to Fire Prevention-related news articles – Updated 06/18/2012
Fifth-graders learn safety lessons during annual event –“Does everybody know what to do when the smoke alarm goes off,” he asked. Conigliaro said just like for a sport, or a musical instrument, practice is an important part of having a successful escape plan at home.
Southaven hosts kids’ fire safety camp – (Tennessee)Appeal Throughout the week campers learn about fire safety , devise a home escape plan …
- Campbell Fire Dept. hosts muster – Chief Melby says it’s important for kids to learn about fire safety , especially during … with the fire department, that also helps us to spread our fire safety message . ..
University of Oklahoma removes Evans Hall fire escape following student’s death – Workers removed fire escapes from the east and west sides of Evans Hall this week, after a review of the building by University of Oklahoma officials and the Norman Fire Department showed the structure met fire codes without the escapes.
Albany fire department knocks on wood for new building codes – (Georgia) The Albany Fire Department held a revolutionary new drill Wednesday to improve building codes throughout the country.
Fire Inspections Spark Controversy in Superior – Fire inspections are an important standard for any commercial property owner but some folks in Superior say inspections are being conducted unfairly. The Fire Department disputes that claim. According to Superior Fire Chief Jim Ringstad, all commercial …
Fire risks to West Michigan’s historic towns (Michigan)-And fire codes can’t require old buildings to install sprinklers. Even restaurants aren’t required to have sprinklers because fire codes passed after they were built.
Fire Chief Searches for Safety Clues in City Buildings (Illinois) – It’s an education he fears may be lacking in many volunteer forces. … “They’re not built with firefighters and fire safety in mind,” said Shaw. Shaw says it isn’t just …
Smoke Detectors From Tulsa Fire Department Save Lives – Looking at the damage from a fire at her friends’ house, Jennifer Cleghorn says it breaks her heart. Last Thursday, at about 4:30 am, someone intentionally set the front porch on fire at the house on Rockford. “He fell down and the roof collapsed in on …
Philadelphia moving to demand 10 year smoke alarms –The sealed alarms cost a few dollars more at time of purchase, but can save homeowners money on replacement batteries. New construction in Philadelphia already requires a hard-wired smoke alarm system with a battery backup.
- Firefighters Demonstrate the Importance of Sprinklers (Virginia)
- Firefighters work to install sprinklers in Habitat homes
UL Warns of Counterfeit UL Mark on Fire Sprinklers – (press release) UL is notifying distributors, fire departments, regulatory agencies and authorities having …
- Wildfire risk to homes is most related to location, study finds – Comparing the state’s fire hazard maps with their own results, the … that often sprout in areas cleared of brush could be more of a fire hazard than the brush.
Goat herd employed to help with fire prevention (Idaho)-In battling wildfires and keeping them from homes, firefighters often say that prevention is key. Howver, more and more people are turning to an age-old resource for fire prevention in the nearby Boise foothills.
Early wildfire season means early fire restrictions in Utah – “We’ve got low humidity, we’ve got a lot of winds this year and we’ve got our heat factor way up and all the potentials for a wild land fire,” Utah State Fire Marshal Brent Halladay said. “Just like in Centerville, it’s so easy to start a fire this ..
- Union Pass is Firewise for 10 years – The county program is recognizing the efforts that include fire prevention measures taken by the Dubois-area community a decade ago. Union Pass in the ..
Teaching children fire safety in the home (Florida)-Teach the entire family how to prepare for, prevent, survive and spot hazards in the home that could lead to a fire
- Can electrical fires be prevented?
State Fire Marshal Urges Consumers to be Safe with Fireworks (Michigan)- While producing a beautiful visual effect, sky lanterns can pose a significant fire hazard if not used properly. Carefully read and follow the manufacturer’s directions on the proper use of your sky lantern. Always keep a supply of water or a fire …
Safety tips for grilling and campfires (Minnesota)- Don’t build a campfire at a site in hazardous, dry conditions or if the campground, area, or event rules prohibit campfires. An estimated 5700 grill fires occur on residential properties each year in the United States
- House Fires: Be Prepared – If there is a fire in your home, being alerted as soon as possible can save lives and get the fire department to you sooner. “Certainly checking smoke detectors is ..
- Take ownership of home fire safety
KARE honored with fire safety education award (Minnesota) – Fire officials recognized KARE 11 on Wednesday for raising awareness of fire safety dangers in the home. The Fire Marshals …
- Drought raises concerns about July 4 fireworks (Indiana)- State Fire Marshal Jim Greeson tells The Times of Munster … Schererville and Hammond, there are no immediate plans in those municipalities to ban fireworks.
- New fireworks law ignites cities’ response – No local K2 ban , but a strong message is sent … Safety tips on the handling of fireworks are available on the state’s Department of … State Fire Marshal Richard Miller said that law enforcement and firefighters will have to be especially alert.
- Funding cuts imperil safety, Minneapolis firefighters say (Minnesota) – Four Minneapolis firefighters, three of whom fought a major church fire in May, told a legislative … He said the department was first alerted by a smoke alarm in the church, and when fire was discovered by the first three …
- Fire victim lucky to be alive, chief says A smoke alarm awakened the woman, who was able to escape through the garage door. The fire chief said it’s fortunate that when the flames shorted the …
SMOKE DETECTOR SAVES LIVES IN FAYETTEVILLE – The Smoke Detector Give Away program sponsored by the Fayetteville Fire Emergency Management Department can be credited with helping to save the lives of three people by installing a smoke detector in their home at 235 Laraine St, back in April of 2012 .
- Unfriendly fire forces residents out of personal care home (Albany, GA)
- Dishwasher fire prompts evacuations (Albuquerque, NM)Around 1:30 a.m. The Hyatt Hotel was evacuated after a fire broke out in a … Luckily the sprinkler system quickly kicked in and the fire was contained to that one
- Sprinklers allow time for successful evacuation of nursing home during fire (Attica, IN) All of the 43 residents and three staff members were evacuated after a fire broke out in one of the rooms in the north wing, according to Attica fire Chief Ed O’Farrell. “I feel the staff took charge of the situation and collaborated well with the departments,” said Gustus,
Sprinkler system extinguishes fire at senior citizen apartment complex (Vallejo, CA) At about 6:30 p.m., firefighters responded to a report of a fire in the first level of the apartment building at 40 Valle Vista. The fire was already extinguished by the sprinkler in the apartment by the time firefighters arrived.
- Sprinklers stop garbage bin fire (Oregon)
Sprinkler system aids firefighters in high-rise apartment fire (Daytona Beach, FL) Daytona Beach firefighters said the woman was sleeping in a 12-story high-rise apartment building off of South Beach Street about 7 p.m. when the bed caught on fire from the lit cigarette. The building’s sprinkler system put out the blaze just as firefighters arrived, said David Newell, a spokesman with the department. Newell credited the relatively new sprinkler system with saving the woman’s life.
- Sprinkler system contains kitchen fire at resident hall (Mount Pleasant, MI)
Firefighters encourage Manitobans to install home fire sprinklers – The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service says home sprinkler systems save lives and protect first responders. The WFPS has teamed up with the Canadian Automatic Sprinkler Association to encourage Manitobans to install fire sprinkler systems in their homes.