- Campaigns / Other Fire Prevention Efforts
- Campus Fire Safety
- Inspections/Code enforcement
- Smoke Alarms
- Wildland Fire Safety
- Fire safety tips and reminders
- Other Safety News
- Smoke Alarm Saves
- Sprinkler Saves
- International News
Links to Fire Prevention-related news articles – Updated 08/20/2012
- Medina County holds Safety Town for children with special needs (Ohio)
- Child’s quick thinking helps family escape house fire (New Mexico) – “the work put in during last year’s Fire Prevention Month has paid dividends.”
New Program Offering 700 Free Smoke Detectors – (South Carolina) For the first time, a new program in South Carolina is helping people stay safe by passing out free smoke detectors.
Tippah County offers free smoke detectors to elderly and low-income – (Mississippi) Firefighters throughout Tippah County will be installing hundreds of free smoke detectors in homes of the elderly and low income residents.
- My big, fat Greek … house!
Illinois governor signs 4 fire safety bills (Illinois)-Legislation requiring all college dorms to have sprinklers installed by 2014 is one of four new fire safety bills Gov. Pat Quinn has signed into law. The bill beefs up past legislation by instituting tougher penalties for post-secondary ..
- Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office offers Fire Safety Tips for College Students
- Nursing home fire safety code, cost focus of meeting (New York)
- Westport FD Acquires iPads with FM Grant (Connecticutt)
Failed inspections: El Paso Fire Department says slew of Downtown buildings (Texas) fire inspection at City Hall was unsatisfactory because the sprinkler system tags were missing. Fire permits at the El Paso Convention and Visitors Bureau were not up to date, extension cords were used instead of permanent electrical wiring ..
- Code violations eyed in fatal fire (Texas)
- Draft Bellingham law would require boathouse fire vents, sprinkler systems (Washington)
- Smoke detector project credited in Clinton fire (Iowa)
Stamford passes smoke alarm ordinance – (Connecticutt)“Private dwellings have never been addressed in the state fire code or the local ordinance,” said Public Safety Director Ted Jankowski, a former New York City firefighter. “We had such a loss of life at Christmas, and we want to try to prevent that …
New homes burn faster, but states resist sprinklers – CNBC “When you start mandating a fire sprinkler system , you are going to price a lot of people out of these new homes,” said Ned Munoz, vice president of regulatory affairs for the Texas Association of Home Builders, which lobbied heavily for anti-sprinkler …
- New nursing home sprinklers closer – (New York)
- For Sprinklers, Lead the Charge and Lead the Change
St. Mary’s extends home fire sprinkler exemption – (Maryland) The St. Mary’s County commissioners extended Tuesday an exemption in the local building code so that homes with private wells don’t require fire sprinkler systems. Firefighters proposed that all new homes be required to have sprinkler systems, but the
- Blue Island Protects Residents & Firefighters with 79th Progressive Residential Fire Sprinkler Ordinance in Illinois
- As fire season nears, officials ask residents to be prepared (California)
- Being ‘firewise’ can save homes and lives, fire officials say (Utah)
- Folsom City Zoo gets defensible space to prepare for wildfire (California)
- Mont. declares state of emergency over wildfires (Montana)
- FIRE SMART: Vernon Fire Rescue raising alarm bells (Canada)
- Unexpected fire hazard: 9-volt batteries (New Hampshire)
- Taking precautions can prevent house fires (Louisianna)
- Saving time, lives through new technology (Florida)
- Chemical industry challenges move to curb flame retardants | Full Chicago Tribune Investigative Series |
- Generators are creating quite a buzz (Michigan)
Maryland reports downward trend in fire deaths The State of Maryland Office of the State Fire Marshal reports a 21% decrease in fire fatalities in 2012 compared to the same period in 2011. According to ABC2News ,”investigators point to this statistic: there have been no fire deaths since 1992 in new townhomes, when sprinklers were mandated.”
- State Fire Marshal investigators said fire alarm saved a family – (Ohio)
- Apartment complex fire extinguished by sprinkler system (Hampton, NH)
- Smoke Alarm Saves Family of Four
- Smoke detectors alert family after lightning strikes south-side home
Sprinklers douse townhouse fire in Maple Ridge – (Canada) A fire caused by an exploding air conditioning unit was quickly doused by sprinklers and garden hoses Friday evening in Maple Ridge after its spread to a townhouse.
- Sprinkler system suppresses fire at single-family home (Fremont, CA)
- Sprinkler system controls fire at elementary school (Westwood, NJ)
Shropshire camping death inspires fire safety campaign – UK A major fire safety campaign is being launched in Shropshire in an attempt to prevent a repeat of the tragedy that saw a teenager die from carbon monoxide poisoning during a family camping trip to the county.
- FIRE SMART: Vernon Fire Rescue raising alarm bells – (Canada)
- Ontario promoting fire safety in retirement and long-term care homes – (Canada)
- Ontario inches closer to making sprinklers mandatory in retirement homes (Canada)
Smoke alarm reminder after Ramsgate family’s lucky escape – (UK) Smoke alarm reminder after Ramsgate family’s lucky escape This is Kent They put into practice the advice given during a fire safety lesson at their junior school. … “Once a fire starts, it takes hold quickly and spread even faster, which is why its essential that you have an escape plan and know what to do if there is a