“House Fires Caused By Storage of 9 Volt & AA Batteries on the Rise – Additional Stories!

NH Fire Marshal Warns About ‘Junk Drawer’ Items After Amherst Blaze

LONDONDERRY, NH 8/8/2012 (CBS) – New Hampshire’s Fire Marshal is warning people after a fire at an Amherst, New Hampshire home that is being blamed on a battery, paper clips, post-it notes, and other items stashed in a junk drawer.

The prongs of the battery, a 9-volt, apparently came in contact with a metal item and some paper. The metal item conducted the battery current, and the paper worked as fuel.

On Wednesday, Londonderry Fire Chief Mac Caffrie demonstrated for WBZ-TV just how it can happen.

“The potential is there,” Chief Caffrie said. “There are a lot of things in a normal junk drawer that do burn, and apparently the ignition source was a 9 volt battery.”

The battery warning surprised homeowners. Pat Kelley didn’t realize her junk drawer was full of things that could cause a fire.

“We didn’t know that. My husband nor I would even think of that,” she admitted.

Kelley says she’ll now heed the Fire Marshal’s warning, and separate her 9-volts from other items.

Chief Caffrie points out there are other easy solutions.

“Just take a piece of electrical tape and put it across the battery,” he said.

A simple move like that can protect your house from a very real risk.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/08/08/nh-fire-marshal-warns-about-junk-drawer-items-after-amherst-blaze/

NEW Related Stories!

  1. Experts Warn Against Storing 9-Volt Batteries In ‘Junk Drawer‘ Due

    pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/…/experts-warn-against-storing-9-volt-batteri

    Aug 22, 2012 – PITTSBURGH (CBS) — Do you have a “junk drawer” somewhere in your house? Most people do, and most of us probably don’t give a second

  2. NH Fire Marshal Warns About ‘Junk Drawer‘ Items After Amherst Blaze

    boston.cbslocal.com/…/nh-fire-marshal-warns-about-junkdrawer-ite…

    Aug 8, 2012 – A fire at an Amherst, New Hampshire home is being blamed on a battery, paper clips, post-it notes, and other items stashed in a junk drawer.

  3. 3 On Your Side: 9 Volt Battery Fire Risk « CBS Philly

    philadelphia.cbslocal.com/…/3-on-your-side-9-volt-batteryfire-risk/

    Aug 16, 2012 – “There’s a lot of things in a normal junk drawer that do burn and apparently the ignition source was a 9 volt battery,” says fire chief Kevin Mac

  4. How Your Junk Drawer Could Set Your House on Fire – Shine – Yahoo!

    shine.yahoo.com/…/junkdrawer-could-set-house-fire-203200535.ht…

    Aug 13, 2012 – A 9 volt battery in a messy junk drawer is being blamed for a recent house fire in Amherst, New Hampshire, and the state’s fire marshal is

  5. Storing 9-Volt Batteries in Junk Drawer Could be Dangerous | Video

    http://www.theblaze.com/…/your-junkdrawer-could-be-a-ticking-time-bo…

    Aug 23, 2012 – However, junk drawers can be ticking time bombs that can start a fire. All that’s required to cause a tragedy is a single 9-volt battery, a key, and

  6. 9 Volt Batteries a Fire Hazard | Division of Fire Safety | NH – NH.gov

    Aug 8, 2012 – In July, a fire broke out in a kitchen “junkdrawer which the resident stated she had just cleaned and organized. The fire produced smoke

  7. State Fire Marshal Warns of 9 Volt Battery Danger – Amherst, NH Patch

    amherst.patch.com/…/state-fire-marshal-warns-of-9-volt-battery-dang…

    Aug 10, 2012 – A July fire in Amherst may have been sparked by a 9 volt battery in a junk drawer, and fire safety officials want to remind residents how to

  8. State FIre Marshal Warns of 9 Volt Battery Danger – in Merrimack Patch

    merrimack.patch.com/…/state-fire-marshal-warns-of-9-volt-battery-d…

    Aug 8, 2012 – A July fire in New Hampshire sparked by a 9 volt battery in a junk drawer has fire safety officials warning of how to properly store them.

  9. Fire Service Today: How your junk drawer could set your house on fire

    nfpa.typepad.com/fireservicetoday/…/how-your-junkdrawer-could-s…

    Aug 14, 2012 – A 9 volt battery in a messy junk drawer is being blamed for a recent house fire in Amherst, New Hampshire, and the state’s fire marshal is ..

Advertisements

Comments Welcomed!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s