Updated! – House Fires Caused By Storage of 9 Volt & AA Batteries on the Rise

NH Fire Marshal Warns About ‘Junk Drawer’ Items After Amherst Blaze

LONDONDERRY, NH 8/8/2012 (CBS) – New Hampshire’s Fire Marshal is warning people after a fire at an Amherst, New Hampshire home that is being blamed on a battery, paper clips, post-it notes, and other items stashed in a junk drawer.

The prongs of the battery, a 9-volt, apparently came in contact with a metal item and some paper. The metal item conducted the battery current, and the paper worked as fuel.

On Wednesday, Londonderry Fire Chief Mac Caffrie demonstrated for WBZ-TV just how it can happen.

“The potential is there,” Chief Caffrie said. “There are a lot of things in a normal junk drawer that do burn, and apparently the ignition source was a 9 volt battery.”

The battery warning surprised homeowners. Pat Kelley didn’t realize her junk drawer was full of things that could cause a fire.

“We didn’t know that. My husband nor I would even think of that,” she admitted.

Kelley says she’ll now heed the Fire Marshal’s warning, and separate her 9-volts from other items.

Chief Caffrie points out there are other easy solutions.

“Just take a piece of electrical tape and put it across the battery,” he said.

A simple move like that can protect your house from a very real risk.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/08/08/nh-fire-marshal-warns-about-junk-drawer-items-after-amherst-blaze/

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Updated! – House Fires Caused By Storage of 9 Volt & AA Batteries on the Rise

    1. Thanks for the Re-Blog! This has been going on about a year or so now and this is the second post I’ve done on this growing problem. I’ve heard of many stories from readers too. if you have a “junk drawer”, it’s best to know what you might be “mixing” together when you open that drawer and toss things in there!

      Like

      1. I also read about this junk drawer issue months ago. Many people don’t realize the danger of tossing just anything into a drawer. Great post!

        Like

        1. Thanks again! No they don’t and I’m sure this issue will continue to happen, that’s why I keep posting it and tweeting it! If you do a search, I’m sure you’ll see all the occurrences. and there are many!

          Like

  1. That 9-volt battery in the ‘junk’ drawer could start a house fire
    http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index…/60790-chief-ken-erickson-8-8-25...
    To the editor, Laconia Fire department urges residents to locate their spare batteries and learn how to store them safely. In July, a fire broke out in a kitchen …
    NH Fire Marshal Warns About ‘Junk Drawer’ Items After Amherst …
    boston.cbslocal.com/…/nh-fire-marshal-warns-about-junk-drawer-ite…
    3 days ago – A fire at an Amherst, New Hampshire home is being blamed on a battery … The prongs of the battery, a 9-volt, apparently came in contact with a …
    State Fire Marshal Warns of 9 Volt Battery Danger – Amherst, NH Patch
    amherst.patch.com/…/state-fire-marshal-warns-of-9-volt-battery-dang…
    1 day ago – A July fire in Amherst may have been sparked by a 9 volt battery in a junk drawer, and fire safety officials want to remind residents how to properly store them. … The fire produced smoke throughout the first floor of the home.
    Updated! – House Fires Caused By Storage of 9 Volt & AA Batteries …
    ehssafetynews.com/…/updated-house-fires-caused-by-storage-of-9-v…
    4 minutes ago – NH Fire Marshal Warns About ‘Junk Drawer’ Items After Amherst Blaze … House Fires Caused By Storage of 9 Volt & AA Batteries on the Rise …
    Junk Drawers Pose Fire Threat – Yahoo! News
    news.yahoo.com/…/junk-drawers-pose-fire-threat-30235799.html
    2 days ago – Household junk drawers pose a serious fire threat if they house 9-volt batteries, reports CBS 2’s Christine Johnson. Adult Whooping Cough …
    Beware of 9-volt batteries | Concord Monitor
    http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/347274/beware-of-9-volt-batteries
    3 days ago – That’s what state Fire Marshal William Degnan says, citing a fire that broke out in a kitchen drawer last month.Degnan said a 9-volt battery …
    Rochester Fire Department urges caution with 9-volt batteries – Fosters
    http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120811/…01/...
    22 hours ago – Rochester Fire Department urges caution with 9-volt batteries … a New Hampshire resident reported a fire broke out in her “junk drawer” in the kitchen. … Advertise, Email Headlines, Buy Photos, Tool Bar, Home Delivery ..

    Like

Comments Welcomed!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s