Ready for the new GHS-required safety data sheet (SDS)? Here’s a little game of 20 questions to test your knowledge of the new SDS. Use the quiz to check supervisors’ understanding of the new format as well.
Although you still have over a year to train employees about the new GHS-required SDS and even more time before you have to replace the MSDS with the SDS, it’s a never too early to start getting your workplace ready for the change over.
In this quiz, you’ll be asked to identify sections of the SDS where specific information can be found. If you’re already using the ANSI-format MSDS, you should get all the answers right. Scroll down after the last question to check your answers.
1. What is the compliance deadline (month, day, and year) for training employees on the new SDS?
2. By what date must you switch over from the MSDS to the SDS?
3. In which section of the SDS would you find information about a chemical’s vapor density?
5. In which section would you find the chemical manufacturer’s or importer’s name, address, and an emergency phone number?
6. In which section would you find the UN number and proper shipping name, required for transporting chemicals?
7. In which section would you find information about the ecotoxicity and bioaccumulative potential of a hazardous chemical?
8. In which section would you find the signal word, hazard statement, symbol, and precautionary statement (corresponding to information on the label)?
9. In which section would you find a list of safety, health, and environmental regulations that apply to the product?
10. In which section would you find information about safe disposal of waste chemicals and contaminated packaging?
1. December 1, 2013
2. June 1, 2015
3. Section 9, Physical and Chemical Properties
4. Section 3, Composition/Information on Ingredients
5. Section 1, Identification
6. Section 14, Transportation Information
7. Section 12, Ecological Information
8. Section 2, Hazard Identification
9. Section 15, Regulatory Information
10. Section 13, Disposal Considerations
11. Section 4, First Aid
12. Section 8, Exposure Controls/Personal Protection
13. Section 5, Fire-fighting Measures
14. Section 10, Stability and Reactivity
15. Section 9, Physical and Chemical Properties
16. Section 11, Toxicological Information
17. Section 7, Handling and Storage
18. Section 8, Exposure Control/Personal Protection
19. Section 6, Accidental Release Measures
20. Section 10, Stability and Reactivity