The holiday season is one of the busiest times of the year for travel as people are leaving town to visit with family and friends. Automobile travel is always a popular choice as it is generally more affordable than other transportation and allows your schedule to be more flexible.
Even if you are planning to stay in town for the holidays, the roads can be more dangerous due to harsh weather conditions and even other drivers that are in a hurry to get to their destinations. Take a look at some winter driving tips to help keep you and your family safe.
- Don’t exceed the speed limit. Police are out in force to help curb speeding and keep motorists safe. A ticket can increase your auto insurance premiums.
- Ice and snow can cause you to slip and slide, dangerous business when it comes to driving. Give yourself about three times as much room for stopping as you normally would to prevent accidents.
- Don’t use cruise control on snowy or icy roads.
- Wear your seat belt. While this precaution can save your life, it can also save you a ticket.
- Remove snow and ice from your windows before driving anywhere. You should have 360 degree unobstructed views from your driver’s seat before driving anywhere.
- Store an emergency kit in your car. With unpredictable weather this time of the year, you never know when you’re going to need it. Be sure to include blankets, a flashlight, a shovel, salt, an ice scraper, and flares.
Unfortunately, while safety precautions can help reduce your risk of accident, there’s always a chance that something could go wrong.
Video Source: Sussex Safer Roads® http://www.sussexsaferroads.gov.uk/
- Safe Driving Tips for This Holiday Season (ehssafetynews.com)