I can see this idea and certification requirement law being adopted by other cities and states in the US in the near future. "Once the harm has been done, even a fool understands it." Boston's Deputy Fire Chief Jack Dempsey quotes Homer, to sum up, the need that drove the implementation of Boston's Hot Work … Continue reading “Once The Harm Has Been Done, Even A Fool Understands It’ – The Origin Of Boston’s Hot Work Certification Program” #HotWork
Click here for the recent Hastings, Nebraska House Fire on January 16, 2017 If you are storing loose 9 volt or AA or other batteries in a kitchen drawer or a "junk" drawer in your home, watch how you store them. Above all don't store them loose and rolling around with other metal items, like small … Continue reading “Have Batteries At Home? Don’t Store Open Batteries In Junk Drawers” #HomeSafety
Note: Video Contains Language NSFW This is why awareness of Combustible Dust Is SO Important!! Around 1 p.m. on Monday, July 31, 2017, Jordan White posted a video to Facebook. Since then, it has been viewed by more than a million times. An overhead tank filled with more than 10,000 bushels of corn collapsed as … Continue reading “Grain Silo Collapses Causing Combustible Dust Explosion In Indiana” #CombustibleDust
The Trump administration is delaying a new rule tightening safety requirements for companies that store large quantities of dangerous chemicals. The rule was imposed after a fertilizer plant in West, Texas, exploded in 2013, killing 15 people. Scott Pruitt, the administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, delayed the effective date of the Obama-era rule until … Continue reading “Terrorism Concerns Results in Chemical Storage Rule Delay” #WestTexasFire #Chemicals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr3Cf8H4OwE On average, there are nearly 13,000 civilian fire injuries attributed to home fires each year. In cooperation with the Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors, NFPA has produced a new video underscoring the painful aftermath of these injuries. Burn care specialists from the William Randolph Hearst Burn Center, one of the premier burn care hospitals … Continue reading “New NFPA Video Underscores Long-Lasting Realities Of Home Fire Survivors”
In this age of modern building construction and fire codes, large loss-of-life fires in assembly occupancies just aren’t supposed to happen. But, for some reason, they continue to. I noticed a trend following The Station fire; I thought to myself, “Seems like it’s been about ten years since we’ve seen a fire like this.” I … Continue reading “Oakland Warehouse Dance Party Fire a Rare Disaster, But Troubling Trend Continues”
WASHINGTON, D.C. – At a fireworks safety event today on the National Mall, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) Chairman Elliot F. Kaye unveiled a new public service announcement (PSA) featuring New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul. Pierre-Paul suffered a severe hand injury on July 4, 2015, from a firework-related incident at his … Continue reading “CPSC, NFL Star Team Up on New 2016 July 4th Fireworks Safety Video”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDuHxwD5R4 January 29, 2016, Washington, DC – Today the U.S. Chemical Safety Board (CSB) released a safety video into the fatal April 17, 2013, fire and explosion at the West Fertilizer Company in West, Texas, which resulted in 15 fatalities, more than 260 injuries, and widespread community damage. The deadly fire and explosion occurred when … Continue reading “U.S. Chemical Safety Board Releases New Safety Video, “Dangerously Close: Explosion in West, Texas,” Detailing Report Findings and Recommendations on 2013 Fatal West Fertilizer Company Explosion and Fire “
OSHA Again Urged to Issue New Combustible Dust Regulations East Rutherford, New Jersey, January 15, 2015—The flash fire that burned seven workers, one seriously, at a U.S. Ink plant in New Jersey in 2012 resulted from the accumulation of combustible dust inside a poorly designed dust collection system that had been put into … Continue reading “CSB Names Poor Design and Failure to Test Dust Collection System Among Causes of U.S. Ink New Jersey Flash Fire that Burned Seven Workers in 2012; OSHA Again Urged to Issue New Combustible Dust Regulations”
Aerodyne Environmental announces its newest infographic regarding the dangers from dust in industrial dust environments. The infographic address how an industrial dust-collection system can preserve worker health and even save lives. The dangers of dust often remain as unseen as the small particles themselves. Not only are health hazards associated with dust but poor dust … Continue reading “The Dangers of Combustible Dust” – Infographic
SALT LAKE CITY — Who would have thought that those batteries rolling around in your kitchen junk drawer might burn your house down? It happened to a Colorado family, and that wasn’t the first time. Few people routinely give batteries the respect they deserve. Batteries get tossed into junk drawers where they roll around … Continue reading “More Proof That Battery Storage in Junk Drawers Leads to Home Fires”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFJ6cQUJOsg Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire - March 25, 1911 It may not seem that the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire, which happened over a century ago in New York City, would be relevant today -- but it is. It was a tragedy that opened the nation's eyes to poor working conditions in garment factories and other … Continue reading 103 Years Ago, March 25, 1911, 123 Young Women Working In A Factory Never Came Home. It Changed Our Country.
MANY People Don't Do This! Don't Be a Statistic! Change Those Batteries!Do you have smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in your home? Are they working? Sunday, March 9, marks the beginning of Daylight Saving Time in the United States. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) urges consumers to take the time to replace batteries … Continue reading Change Batteries in Smoke and CO Alarms When Moving Clocks One Hour Forward! (Daylight Savings Time!)
GRANDVIEW, MO (KCTV) - For the past week, one particular video has been lighting up social media, warning of improperly stored 9-volt batteries sparking devastating house fires. The clip, first posted on the website kidsandcharacter.com, recounts how a battery fire destroyed the home of Fort Collins, CO, resident Dave Miller. It begins with the dramatic … Continue reading KCTV5 Exposes The 9-Volt Battery Fire Danger
CBS News Report (NH) on Junk Drawer Battery Storage Actual 9 Volt Battery Fire Aftermath If you want to get an idea of how this happens, do like I did when I was changing 7 smoke detector back-up batteries. I removed the old battery from one of the smoke detectors and inadvertently put it in … Continue reading “Why 9 Volt Batteries & “Junk Drawers” Do Not Mix”
What's wrong with this video? Are we this complacent? Is Everyone a reporter? - What Would YOU Do? (Note: Raw News Footage. The first minute should show you all you need to know!) OSHA Evacuation Plans & Procedures E-Tool: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/evacuation/ OSHA Requirements: Fight or Flee? | Extinguisher Basics | Fire Extinguisher Use | Extinguisher Placement … Continue reading Is Your Evacuation Plan Working? – If Not, Here’s The OSHA Requirements.