Donnie’s Accident – “I Was Too Good To Need My Safety Gear”

On August 12, 2004, I was connecting large electrical generator in preparation for Hurricane Charlie. The meter I was using failed and blew carbon into the gear and created an electrical arc which resulted in an arc blast. The electrical equipment shown in the video is the actual equipment after the explosion when my co-workers … Continue reading Donnie’s Accident – “I Was Too Good To Need My Safety Gear”

Advertisements

“Terrorism Concerns Results in Chemical Storage Rule Delay” #WestTexasFire #Chemicals

The Trump administration is delaying a new rule tightening safety requirements for companies that store large quantities of dangerous chemicals. The rule was imposed after a fertilizer plant in West, Texas, exploded in 2013, killing 15 people. Scott Pruitt, the administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, delayed the effective date of the Obama-era rule until … Continue reading “Terrorism Concerns Results in Chemical Storage Rule Delay” #WestTexasFire #Chemicals

“House Fires Caused By Storage of 9 Volt, AA Batteries In Junk Drawers & Other Places Rising”

* If You Know of a Fire Incident in Your Town Caused by 9 Volt, AA or AAA Battery Storage in a Home, Please Note it in the comments Section of this Post! Thank You! Click here for the recent Hastings, Nebraska House Fire on January 16, 2017 If you are storing loose 9 volt … Continue reading “House Fires Caused By Storage of 9 Volt, AA Batteries In Junk Drawers & Other Places Rising”

Why Lock-Out, Tag-Out Is Vitally Important #LOTO #WorkplaceSafety

Note: The photos above are not intended for page views or shock value as I don't believe that those methods truly teach you anything in and of themselves. I don't know the particulars of the above accident, but I do know that the lack of a proper lock out - tag out (control of hazardous … Continue reading Why Lock-Out, Tag-Out Is Vitally Important #LOTO #WorkplaceSafety

“New NFPA Video Underscores Long-Lasting Realities Of Home Fire Survivors”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr3Cf8H4OwE On average, there are nearly 13,000 civilian fire injuries attributed to home fires each year. In cooperation with the Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors, NFPA has produced a new video underscoring the painful aftermath of these injuries. Burn care specialists from the William Randolph Hearst Burn Center, one of the premier burn care hospitals … Continue reading “New NFPA Video Underscores Long-Lasting Realities Of Home Fire Survivors”

“Oakland Warehouse Dance Party Fire a Rare Disaster, But Troubling Trend Continues”

In this age of modern building construction and fire codes, large loss-of-life fires in assembly occupancies just aren’t supposed to happen. But, for some reason, they continue to. I noticed a trend following The Station fire; I thought to myself, “Seems like it’s been about ten years since we’ve seen a fire like this.” I … Continue reading “Oakland Warehouse Dance Party Fire a Rare Disaster, But Troubling Trend Continues”

“Samsung Recalls 2.8 Million Top-Load Washing Machines Due to Risk of Impact Injuries”

Recall date: November 4, 2016 Name of product: Samsung top-load washing machines Hazard: The washing machine top can unexpectedly detach from the washing machine chassis during use, posing a risk of injury from impact. Consumer Contact: Samsung toll-free at 866-264-5636 from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET, or online at http://www.Samsung.com and click on the … Continue reading “Samsung Recalls 2.8 Million Top-Load Washing Machines Due to Risk of Impact Injuries”

“12,000 All Power Portable Generators Recalled by J.D. North America Due to Explosion, Fire and Burn Hazards”

J.D. North America Corp., of Charlotte, N.C., is recalling about 12,300 All Power portable gasoline generators sold in the U.S. and Mexico. The fuel tank can leak, posing explosion, fire and burn hazards. The firm has received 21 reports of fuel leakage. No injuries or property damage have been reported. This recall involves All Power … Continue reading “12,000 All Power Portable Generators Recalled by J.D. North America Due to Explosion, Fire and Burn Hazards”

“Donnie’s Accident” – “I Was Too Good To Need My Safety Gear”

On August 12, 2004, I was connecting large electrical generator in preparation for Hurricane Charlie. The meter I was using failed and blew carbon into the gear and created an electrical arc which resulted in an arc blast. The electrical equipment shown in the video is the actual equipment after the explosion when my co-workers … Continue reading “Donnie’s Accident” – “I Was Too Good To Need My Safety Gear”

“U.S. Chemical Safety Board Releases New Safety Video, “Dangerously Close: Explosion in West, Texas,” Detailing Report Findings and Recommendations on 2013 Fatal West Fertilizer Company Explosion and Fire “

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDuHxwD5R4 January 29, 2016, Washington, DC – Today the U.S. Chemical Safety Board (CSB) released a safety video into the fatal April 17, 2013, fire and explosion at the West Fertilizer Company in West, Texas, which resulted in 15 fatalities, more than 260 injuries, and widespread community damage. The deadly fire and explosion occurred when … Continue reading “U.S. Chemical Safety Board Releases New Safety Video, “Dangerously Close: Explosion in West, Texas,” Detailing Report Findings and Recommendations on 2013 Fatal West Fertilizer Company Explosion and Fire “

“Combustible Dust: How Crackpots Endanger Safety”

Another good article from my good friend Phil La Duke.

Phil La Duke's Blog

By Phil La Duke

cracked-pot-1

Most of us know the dangers of combustible dust, how when there is a critical mass of fine explosive material—whether it be flour or sawdust—all it takes is a spark to set of  catastrophe.  But there is an equally dangerous situation in the world of safety, the combustible dust of thought.  Combustible Dust Thought is prevalent in LinkedIn discussion groups and other safety forums. I call it combustible dust thought because it’s old and dusty defense of obsolete or just plain simple-minded thinking and practices, and combustible because the old “safety by experience” “we don’t need no education” cranks who blow up at the merest mention of a new idea that isn’t theirs. The Crank Coxes of the world belch out bile and hatred of anything new in safety in bellicose mockery of the modern safety professional.

Take for example “Crank Cox” (a…

View original post 1,497 more words

“CSB Names Poor Design and Failure to Test Dust Collection System Among Causes of U.S. Ink New Jersey Flash Fire that Burned Seven Workers in 2012; OSHA Again Urged to Issue New Combustible Dust Regulations”

  OSHA Again Urged to Issue New Combustible Dust Regulations   East Rutherford, New Jersey, January 15, 2015—The flash fire that burned seven workers, one seriously, at a U.S. Ink plant in New Jersey in 2012 resulted from the accumulation of combustible dust inside a poorly designed dust collection system that had been put into … Continue reading “CSB Names Poor Design and Failure to Test Dust Collection System Among Causes of U.S. Ink New Jersey Flash Fire that Burned Seven Workers in 2012; OSHA Again Urged to Issue New Combustible Dust Regulations”

CSB Investigation Warns of Dust Explosion Risk at Recycling Facilities

The U.S. Chemical Safety Board (CSB) has released its final report, safety recommendations and accompanying safety video into a fatal combustible dust explosion at the AL Solutions metal recycling facility in New Cumberland, West Virginia. As presented to the Board for a vote at a public meeting in Charleston, the report reiterates a recommendation that … Continue reading CSB Investigation Warns of Dust Explosion Risk at Recycling Facilities

“SAFER Systems Unveils Free Chemical Emergency Response Smartphone App. With Real-Time Weather and Traffic Data”

SAFER Systems Unveils Free Chemical Emergency Response Smartphone App. With Real-Time Weather and Traffic Data A must-have, “first on scene” tool for every first responder Camarillo, CA (6/15) - SAFER Systems, the world’s leading chemical emergency response solutions provider, is proud to announce the debut of SAFER Mobile ResponseTM.  SAFER Mobile is a smartphone and … Continue reading “SAFER Systems Unveils Free Chemical Emergency Response Smartphone App. With Real-Time Weather and Traffic Data”

“The Dangers of Combustible Dust” – Infographic

Aerodyne Environmental announces its newest infographic regarding the dangers from dust in industrial dust environments. The infographic address how an industrial dust-collection system can preserve worker health and even save lives. The dangers of dust often remain as unseen as the small particles themselves. Not only are health hazards associated with dust but poor dust … Continue reading “The Dangers of Combustible Dust” – Infographic